Knowing how to hang a flag on a balcony might not seem complicated. On the surface, it isn’t, but the process can vary depending on what kind of balcony you have.
So, to help you out, here are some tips on how to hang a flag from a balcony. We’ll look at a few different methods, along with any special considerations.
Considerations Before Hanging a Flag
Before getting started, there are a few things you should think about:
Some HOAs forbid flags hanging from balconies or windows. It might only be political flags or it could be any type of flag. Check your HOA regulations before you go any further.
It’s less common in rental agreements, although you’re instead limited by a ban on drilling. Below are some options for how to hang a flag without a pole, so they should be fine in this case.
Wind is the only real weather concern when it comes to hanging a flag on a balcony. You’ll just need to implement a few hacks to keep the flag from wrapping around a pole.
Type of Flag
If you plan on hanging your flag outdoors, ensure it’s weatherproof. Typically, flags are made from synthetic materials, meaning this shouldn’t be a problem. If not, be sure to hang your flag indoors or on a covered balcony.
The American Flag
There are actual laws for how to properly hang the American flag, and this isn’t a process we’ll cover here. The guidelines for hanging the American flag can be quite strict, so stick to those if this is the type of flag you want to hang.
Generally, there aren’t any situations in which you shouldn’t (or can’t) hang the American flag. The only thing to bear in mind is that damaged or dirty American flags must be cleaned and mended, so remember this if you’re hanging it outside in all weathers.
4 Ways to Hang a Flag on a Balcony
So, providing you’re allowed to fly a flag on your balcony, let’s look at all the ways for doing this. Below are different options and guidelines depending on the type of balcony you have.
1. Hanging from a Balcony Railing
Hanging a flag from a standard balcony railing (such as metal or wood) is perhaps the easiest method. For this, you’ll need:
Then, simply do the following:
- Screw the flag pole bracket for a balcony railing onto a railing. Most brackets use clamps that you fix around the railing and tighten.
- Mount the flag pole into the bracket.
That’s all there is to it. These brackets are designed to display the flag at an angle stuck out from your balcony. While this is generally fine, be careful if it’s windy, as it could snatch your flag out of the bracket.
2. Hanging a Flag Without a Pole (from a wall or railing)
If you don’t want to use a flag pole to display your flag, you still have options. The method below is suitable for all kinds of balconies but will be particularly useful on concrete walls and balcony railings.
Here’s the method:
- Stick adhesive hooks to your balcony railing or wall. They’ll stick to any surface, so this shouldn’t be a problem.
- Hang the flag using its grommets from the hooks.
- Alternatively, use flag bungees. For this option, you’ll need to secure the clamps to something. The underside of a railing will do, as will a piece of rope tied around the balcony railings.
This method obviously results in hanging a flag vertically. Generally, this shouldn’t be a problem, as most flags are fine being hung this way. It leads to you hanging a flag vertically because the grommets (metal rings) are most commonly located on the left side.
If hanging a flag vertically is an issue, follow the instructions for hanging from a ceiling. Simply adjust the method to suit how you’re hanging the flag.
3. Hanging a Flag from the Ceiling
This is perhaps the most craft-based method, but it’s still pretty simple to follow. Of course, hanging a flag from the ceiling isn’t exclusive to balconies, so you could use this method elsewhere.
All you’ll need is:
Then, do the following:
- Attach one side of the Velcro strip to your flag. The adhesive on the strip might be enough, but it depends on the material. If not, stick it down with some fabric glue.
- Then, simply fix the other side of the Velcro tape to the ceiling. The easiest way to do this is to attach both sides, peel the adhesive backing off, and then put the flag up.
- When you want to take the flag down, simply peel the Velcro apart.
As mentioned, you could use this method for hanging a flag vertically if it doesn’t have grommets, or for hanging on a wall. Adhesive Velcro doesn’t leave marks when you peel it off, so it’s fine for all surfaces.
4. Hanging a Flag on a Glass Balcony
Finally, let’s look at glass balconies. While the method for how to hang a flag without a pole should work, this is an alternative specifically for glass balconies.
Simply replace the adhesive hooks with suction cup hooks and follow the method as before. If you want to hang your flag horizontally, consider fixing a small loop to the back so you can still use these suction cups.
They’re the best option for glass balconies because they won’t leave any marks. Of course, you could use this method to hang a flag from your balcony windows, too.
Final Thoughts on How to Hang a Flag on a Balcony
While hanging a flag isn’t difficult, it’s helpful to choose the right tools for the job. As you can see, the method for how to hang a flag varies slightly depending on the type of balcony you have.
Have fun hanging your flag of choice! But, remember, if it’s the American flag, there’s a specific protocol you must follow.