Juliet balconies are an easy way to make an indoor space feel much larger without a massive DIY project. Of course, the hardest decision is deciding on the best Juliet balcony railing for your home.
Well, hopefully this article will be of use. We cover the main types of Juliet balcony railings with the pros and cons of each, so you can narrow down your decision.
Juliet Balcony Railings
1. Wrought Iron
Wrought iron railings are the most traditional looking and are best for classical/older buildings. You can add amazing patterns using wrought iron, but this bumps up the already high cost.
- Amazing design choices
- Classic Juliet balcony railing
- One of the most expensive options
- Require more upkeep due to rust potential
A Juliet balcony glass rail is a more modern design choice. It uses a sheet of reinforced glass often topped with a metal railing. They’re quite a flexible option and let in as much light as possible.
- Sleek, modern look
- Have no impact on light levels indoors
- Require regular cleaning
You’ll find Juliet balcony metal railings in stainless steel and mild steel. They’re strong, durable, and fairly cost-effective options. Steel gives a modern, polished look to a Juliet balcony.
- Easy to work with
- Durable (stainless steel is weather-resistant)
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Mild steel does rust
- Stainless steel is expensive
Aluminum is a strong and affordable option for a Juliet balcony railing. You’ll find various powder-coated options, giving you choices for color and finish. Aluminum is a common replacement for steel because it’s cheaper.
- Affordable option for Juliet balcony metal railings
- Comes in different finish options
- Resistant to most weather conditions
- Aluminum isn’t a great choice in coastal regions because salt corrodes it
Wood isn’t really an option we use much anymore for Juliet balcony railings, but it’s worth mentioning for its classic look. As you’d expect, wood is cheap and requires lots of upkeep. This is why we’ve mostly switched to metal products.
- Very low initial cost
- Easy to customize design and finish
- Classic look
- Expensive to maintain
- Doesn’t last as long as metal or glass
Choosing the right Juliet balcony railing entirely depends on your overall style. There are plenty of options for modern Juliet balcony metal railings, but fewer classic designs.
Once you factor in budget and installation, it might be much easier for you to make a choice.